Are you tired of fish oil constipation treatments and wasted time sitting on the toilet because you feel you are endlessly constipated and can’t seem to figure out the cause? There are many reasons for constipation in women, and some are shared while others are age and gender specific. Women have sensitive bodies that undergo many changes and difficulties that men don’t experience. As such, it makes sense for them to have many reasons for constipation outside the normal dehydration and dietary issues (both of which still cause a blocked poop chute in women, mind you!).
In order to help you better understand the many, many reasons for constipation in women that you may not be aware of, we’ve compiled a list of 10 rather surprising causes. Most are specific to women, but some are causes that know no age or gender boundaries that you may simply be overlooking!
1. Calcium: Women take calcium for stronger bones, but not all take the right kind. Without magnesium, your calcium supplement could be causing your clogged pipes.
2. Safe Toilet Syndrome: Whether at a questionable truck stop or traveling abroad, women seem to know when a potty is safe and when it is not. But, skipping a bowel movement can
cause you constipation down the line.
3. Candida: Such a common reason for constipation, and yet so misunderstood. Use dietary changes and read our candida- related articles to help you combat a candida yeast overgrowth and help alleviate constipation.
4. Stress: Women don’t get stressed, right? Alright, that wasn’t a funny joke. Women often bear the weight of the world on their shoulders, and stress and anxiety can be one of the reasons for constipation.
5. Being Lazy: Not exercising and having a reasonable amount of regular activity can be one of the biggest causes of bloating in women, and also constipation.
6. Laxatives: Unfortunately, laxative abuse is more common than ever and whether to treat occasional irregularity or as an unsafe and un-recommended weight loss tool, overuse of these over the counter products can lead to an inability to evacuate.
7. Eating disorders: Anorexia for instance, can wreak havoc on your digestive system causing not only constipation but a whole lot of other digestive complications.
8. Hormones: Pregnancy, hormone changes, menopause and bloating related to menstruation are all women-specific symptoms indicating the relationship between the female reproductive system and digestive health.
9. Thyroid issues: Women are three times as likely to have thyroid issues than men, and these endocrine enigmas can lead to blocked buttage.
10. Celiac Disease: an intolerance to gluten that can quite often carry constipation as a symptom. Normally, constipation is one of the signs of celiac disease in children.
Knowing about all of the different reasons for constipation in women that are outside of normal causes such as too much dairy (lactose) not enough fiber and dehydration are important to help you treat your condition. In fact, if conventional treatments are proving unsuccessful, you may consider one of the aforementioned causes as a source. Don’t self diagnose though. Sometimes constipation can be a sign of a medical condition or a drug interaction. If your situation lasts longer than a few days, you have simultaneous other symptoms or you feel ill, consult with your health care provider as soon as possible.